Recipe: Stuffed Fillet of Sole
15 December 2015 at 13:01
A delicious, simple, colourful first course for Christmas time - fillet of sole stuffed with red pepper and served with pesto. As a starter, use one fillet per person or for a main course two fillets. I have gone for the colour here for this drab time of year and the stuffing has warmth in it as well. Lemon sole is available just now but you could also use another flat white fish if you like such as Plaice or flounder or dab.
4 fillets of lemon sole
1 red pepper
¼ tsp smoked paprika
1 egg yolk
- Roast the red peppers in a hot oven until the skin begins to blacken, about 15 minutes, allow to cool and remove the skin. Cut in half and remove the seeds and core.
- Whizz in a food processor with the seasoning and add the egg yolk
- Dry the fillets with kitchen paper and lay out with the skinned side up
- Season lightly and spread the red pepper mixture over the fillets, keeping just inside the edges
- Roll them up and wrap tightly in cling film
- Steam for 10 minutes and set aside for a few minutes until cool enough to just handle
- Remove from the cling film and cut into three or four slices and serve with a spoonful of pesto spread on each plate
I have served them with some roast leeks in the picture but you can use whatever you like.
Recipe by Christopher Trotter
Photography by Caroline Trotter