Recipe: Grilled herring with potato salad
19 September 2017 at 11:11
This dish is equally good with mackerel as it is with herring so follow the seasons. Both fish are in season now.
The potato salad can either have a mayonnaise dressing with herbs or an oil and vinegar based one. Either way, using lovely fresh new season potatoes makes this a lovely first course or lunch dish. I have finished this with crème fraiche.
250g new potatoes
2 tblsp white wine vinegar
2 shallots chopped finely
1 tblsp chopped dill or flat parsley
1 tblsp crème fraiche
Squeeze of lemon juice
4 herrings, filleted
Salt and pepper and a little oil
- Cut the potatoes into small chunks and place in a pan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil add a little salt and simmer for 5-8 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked but are still firm.
- While they are cooking place the chopped shallots in a small pan with the vinegar and bring to a boil and simmer until the vinegar has nearly evaporated. Set aside.
- As soon as the potatoes have cooked strain them through a colander and once all the water has gone tip over the hot shallots and gently mix through allowing the hot vinegar and shallots to permeate the warm potatoes.
- Allow to cool and gently mix through the chosen herbs and crème fraiche season and add lemon juice if needs be.
- Make diagonal slashes in the herring and bathe in olive oil and a little black pepper and grill quickly under a hot grill or in a griddle pan, colouring lightly on both sides. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.