Recipe: Broccoli and seafood “a la Grecque”
08 December 2017 at 09:51
This dish could make your Christmas first course as it’s simple to make and can be prepared in advance. I have used prawns and mussels in this recipe but you can use scallops or small strips of white fish or salmon.
If the latter make sure the fish is cut into thin strips as they need to “cook” when the hot “a la Grecque” mixture is poured on.
1 head of broccoli
3 tblsp olive oil
2 tblsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds
Clove garlic, thinly sliced
2 leaves Black kale with the stalks removed and leaves finely shredded
150g cooked north Atlantic prawns
100g cooked mussels
- Remove the stalks from the broccoli and break the florets into small pieces, slice the stalks into thin strips and keep separate.
- Blanche first the broccoli florets in boiling salted water for two minutes, plunge into ice cold water and leave to cool completely for 10 minutes. Drain and allow to dry, repeat with the stalks.
- Mix the seafood, broccoli strips and shredded kale together and place in a bowl.
- Place the oil, vinegar, coriander and fennel seeds in a small pan with the garlic and bring to a gentle simmer for a minute, pour immediately over the seafood and carefully mix through; making sure the fish is well coated. Leave to marinate for a few minutes then mix through the blanched broccoli and chill until ready to serve, you can prepare this up to 24 hours in advance.
- Either serve in a bowl for guests to help themselves or serve on four little plates, add a splash of good olive oil to finish.
Recipe by Christopher Trotter
Food photography by Caroline Trotter